Writing and editing
My career has had four phases:
- 1970s, civil engineering. This period was an interesting time to be designing roads and drainage schemes because computer-aided design was getting established. In my view, engineering projects provide an excellent foundation for all types of work: you get into the habit of designing something before building it. I soon found that this approach made it easier to develop software.
- 1980s, software development. For the developers of software for commercial applications, there seemed to be firm boundaries: analysts analysed and programmers programmed. It was different for the developers of software for engineering applications: we did both the analysis and the programming. And the testing, and the documentation, and the training. In the 80s, engineering software evolved from batch jobs into interactive graphics and I evolved into a technical communicator.
- 1990s, technical communication. I worked on many projects that developed my knowledge of the two main tasks of technical communication: creating documents and presenting training courses.
- 2000 onwards, technical communication and photography. I have added photography services to my business; I provide various products based on my landscape photography.
- magazines. I have contributed photographs to various magazines. Often, my photographs illustrate my own articles.
- books. I have contributed photographs to several books. I have also self-published Golcar Light, a book that contains 129 of my photographs.
- exhibitions. I have presented exhibitions of my photographs on the following subjects: Iceland, Venice, and Greece. I also presented Travelling Eye, an exhibition of travel photography at the Nikon Gallery in Kingston.
Writing and editing
- business documents. I have prepared software guides, specifications, policies and procedures, product brochures, and website pages. The subjects include digital ground modelling for civil engineering design, process control for steel manufacturing, seismology for the oil and gas industry, and building-control systems. For most projects, I designed and wrote the required documents; for some projects, I edited an existing document.
- magazines. I have contributed articles to various magazines. The subjects include travel, working horses, woodworking, and training guide dogs for the blind.
- journals. I took a leading role in the redesign of a professional institute's journal. more...
I also contributed some articles: a profile of an award winner, book reviews on website design and colour harmony, a feature on using digital photographs, and a case study of a software documentation project.
- books. I co-edited and typeset a book on technical communication. more...
I have prepared and presented the following training courses:
- technical communication: courses on typography, using diagrams, and making presentations
- photography: courses on basic techniques and advanced techniques
- civil engineering: courses on digital ground modelling
- computing: courses for system managers, operators, programmers, and users
I was an associate lecturer with the Open University for the following courses:
- Engineering the future. This level-1 course provides an introduction to engineering. It covers historical development, design, legislation, manufacturing, and future developments.
- Information and communication technologies. This level-2 course looks at how people use information and how they interact with the technology. It covers mobile telephony, the internet, network management, security, and speech recognition.
- B Eng, Civil Engineering
- Further and Adult Education Teachers' Certificate, Stage 2